Talgo, Leading Manufacturer in Central Asia
Talgo is the leading supplier of locomotive-hauled trains for Kazakhstan and all of Central Asia. After proving the advantages of its technology in 2001, and providing the rolling stock for a new night train service in 2003, in 2010 Talgo secured one of its largest orders to date when KTZ commissioned the company to supply up to 3000 cars over the next decade while also providing maintenance services.
The unquestionable success of Talgo's rolling stock in Kazakhstan since they were introduced in 2003 was the basis for Kazakhstan Railways (KTZ) to again select Talgo to further enhance its passenger fleet nearly a decade later. Talgo is currently manufacturing 603 wide-bodyshell cars for 21 trains, which will gradually enter service over the next few years.
These sets are part of a framework agreement for the supply of up to 3000 inter-city cars which will replace Soviet-era stock and are the only vehicles in the world certified to operate at -50ºC. The design of the train increases the interior space, while the cars comply with the interoperability standards of the Eurasian Customs Union, meaning that they are certified to operate in the founding member countries, the Russian Federation, Kazakhstan and Belarus.
Talgo's largest order
The 2010 contract is the largest in terms of volume in the history of Talgo and actually surpasses the cumulative total of cars supplied in all of its previous orders. The order will be carried out in various stages until all 3000 cars are delivered, with almost all of the vehicles manufactured in Kazakhstan. This will establish the Tulpar-Talgo joint venture as the leading manufacturer of rolling stock in Central Asia.
- Customised customer services, which improve the design and reduce life cycle costs.
- Gradual transfer of technology, except for the Talgo rolling assembly system.
- Most components are acquired locally to create a complete supply chain.
- Establishment of a highly qualified workforce in the country.
Wider, more comfortable trains
After delivering 17 trains between 2003 and 2013, Talgo is now supplying a further 21 trains comprised of 603 new generation cars, which are specially designed for Kazakhstan. They consist of a new wider carbody to make full use of the ample loading gauge of the KTZ network.
- Cars with a width of 3200mm offer more capacity for the operator and more space for passengers.
- Maximum speed of 200km/h for use on lines with higher quality track.
- Optimal performance in harsh climate conditions. It is the only train in the world certified to operate autonomously at -50ºC thanks to the two power cars in each train.
- Certified according to the Technical Regulations of the Customs Union (TR TS) permitting operation in Russia and Belarus.
- Direct accessibility to the whole train and barrier-free interior mobility.
- On board catering facilities in bar-buffet and restaurant cars.
As the trains are gradually introduced into service, KTZ is starting to reap the benefits of a higher quality service and a greater frequency of operations on long-distances routes serving the vast Kazakhstan territory.
- Increased speed reduces journey times by up to 50%, without costly investments in infrastructure.
- High comfort on Talgo trains in seats, Cabins or Grand Class cars, which offer better value and satisfaction for all passengers.
- Easier, faster and cheaper maintenance, which is conducted car by car, avoiding the need to immobilise the whole train.
- More operational flexibility by assigning trains according to the requirements of individual routes.
Talgo cars offer complete interoperability with any locomotive in KTZ's fleet.