Talgo 250, Maximum Versatility at High Speed
Talgo 250 is a high-speed tilting train suitable for all types of railway services, even those that utilise infrastructure with variations in equipment and track gauge. The train offers optimal accessibility, high reliability, low energy consumption and the lowest operation costs.
Within our product catalogue, Talgo 250 is the perfect solution for operators using non-homogeneous railway networks and those that require a high-speed train which can run at up to 250km/h, while remaining capable of adapting to every curve. To this end, the trains have traction equipment which is adaptable to varying gauge and signalling systems, and tilting technology, which enables the train to run faster through curves. This means that no costly infrastructure interventions are needed in order to improve operating times on conventional lines.
For the past 10 years, 30 Talgo 250 trains have been in service across the Spanish railway network using conventional main lines as well as standard-gauge high-speed tracks. Another four units have been operating in Uzbekistan since 2011, where they offer the only high-speed railway service in Central Asia.
Technology that adapts to the track
The first questions when purchasing long-distance rolling stock are, what is the infrastructure like, and what type of train is most suitable? Many railway networks have been built gradually over many decades without following any clear standards, which is why tracks so often draw a heterogeneous map. Vehicles are faced with interoperability problems due to differences in power supply, signalling systems and track gauge. Talgo 250 is the best solution to all of these problems.
- Adapts to the main electrification systems: 25kV or 25kV ac, and 3000V, 1500V and 700V dc.
Can integrate with any signalling system available on the market: ERTMS Levels 1 and 2, LZB, EBICAB etc.
Automatic variable gauge system for international services which helps to avoid changing train bogies or costly infrastructure conversion works.
Speed and low consumption
Talgo 250's versatility stems from its capacity to break through technological barriers and to offer a truly high-speed solution in circumstances where other trains cannot offer such high performance. With Talgo 250 in their fleet, operators can maximise performance on all tracks, and at an unrivalled cost.
- Operate at up to 250km/h on high-speed lines with fast acceleration due to its lightweight structure allowing it to operate alongside the network’s fastest trains.
- Can also operate at up to 220km/h on conventional lines, making high-speed possible with low infrastructure investment.
- Talgo tilting technology improves speeds in curves by 20%, reducing journey times on winding routes.
- Lightweight and aerodynamically optimised design, while using almost 50% less axles than traditional trains reducing the amount of energy consumed and train and infrastructure maintenance costs.
Designed to please
Railway operators are aware that after speed, passengers' main concerns are comfort and enjoying their journey by having the space to either work or relax. These demands are sometimes difficult to meet all of the time, but Talgo 250 offers a wide array of configurations with the aim of making the travelling experience as enjoyable as often as possible while maximising turnover for the operator.
- Dynamic comfort provided by its main features: articulated structure supported by independent rodals (Talgo trucks), air suspension and the tilting system that enables the train to pass smoothly through curves.
- The train floor is at platform level, which makes boarding and disembarking a much simpler process, especially for passengers with reduced mobility.
- A single-deck and spacious train which offers wide gangways.
- Ergonomic seats with plenty of room and always face the direction of travel.
- Power supply at every seat.
- Infotainment systems at-seat and on cars.
- On-board Wi-Fi access.
- Fully equipped Bar-Buffet car, with panoramic windows.
|Maximum speed||275 Km/h|
|Operating speed||250 Km on HS and 220 km on conventional|
|Configuration||2 power heads and 11 cars (M-11R-M)
depending on client requirements
|Track gauge (mm)||1435-1520-1668|
|Floor height (mm)||760 from rail head|
|Bodyshell width (mm)||2942|
|Unladen weight (tonnes)||
|Number of axles||20|
|Power supply||25kV 50Hz ac / 3kV dc
Other supplies possible at client's request
|Power||4800 kW = 15.38 kW/t (25kV, 50Hz) / 4000 kW (3kV dc)|
Regenerative, rheostatic and air brake