Talgo XXI - corporate
Talgo XXI, a High Speed Diesel Train
Talgo XXI is at the heart of the technological developments that have led us to manufacture the most reliable lightweight, high-speed trains available on the market today. Modularity is a key feature of Talgo XXI, which is a diesel train capable of achieving speeds of 220km/h
Talgo XXI is the fastest, high-speed diesel train in the world. On June 12 2002, it recorded a speed of 256.38km/h on the Madrid – Barcelona line, exceeding all previous records. As well as this notable achievement, the train possesses a strong service record, safely covering millions of kilometres in Spain each year.
The push-pull design and Series 7 passenger cars provide optimum stability inside the train, while its automatic variable gauge system guarantees obstacle-free travel on the complex Spanish railway network. These features convinced Spanish infrastructure manager Adif to use the train for close to 15 years for rail inspections on Europe’s most extensive high-speed network.
Technology designed to adapt
- Driving bogie with automatic variable gauge.
- Certified to run at maximum speeds of 220km/h.
- Tilting technology to improve speed on winding routes.
- Push-pull traction with 1500kW power in a single head.
Series 7: exported worldwide
- Passenger cars suitable for high- speeds of more than 200km/h.
- Non-power driving cab.
- HVAC equipment located under the train floor, thereby lowering the centre of gravity.
- Very energy efficient, with low maintenance costs.
- Significantly shorter travel times.
- Durability spanning over 40 years.
A versatile lab
- Lightweight train for auxiliary purposes.
- Exhaustive inspection of the tracks it runs on.
- Overhead line inspection.
- Suitable for institutional visits.
|Operating speed||220km/h with diesel traction on any line|
2 power heads, 8 to 12 intermediate cars
1 power head, 4 coaches, 1 driving cab with passengers
|Track gauge (mm)||1435-1668|
|Floor height (mm)||760 from railhead|
|Bodyshell width (mm)||2942|
|Unladen weight (tonnes)||224|
|Number of axles||10-16|
|Power||1500kW -1800kW/ 1800rpm|
Hydrodynamic and air brake